Monday, September 16, 2013

A little envy goes a long way.

“But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;  I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.” (Psalm 73:2-3, NIV)

  There are raw materials though minuscule in quantity have power that is momentous.  There are simple little words or phrases that can cut deep into friendships and relationships.  There are emotions though small in initial thought can overpower all goodness leading to obsessions and sinful or destructive behaviors.

     Such is envy, though small, it is powerful.  A little envy goes a long way.  A little envy can immobilize wise and thoughtful actions.  A little envy can consume our normal personal functioning with obsessive patterns that lead to anger and frustration.  A little envy can take balanced priorities in our life and tilt us towards seeking after fame, money, activities with an abandoned foolish dedication.  A little envy can be a wedge in friendships and relationships.  A little envy can make us something we are not.  It can make us beastly, bitter and incredibly obsessed.  A little envy goes a very long way.

     Envy needs to be set aside when we sense it in our lives, realizing the true nature of its consuming power and the destructive results it will bring if unchecked.  Instead we need to rest in God’s counsel and destiny seeking after His ways.  The truth … of all our days being His will counter envy and its power to turn us away from following our Lord and His plans for our lives.  

“When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant;    I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you?  And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart  and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:21-26, NIV)

Suggested Bible Reading ... Psalm 73

No comments:

Post a Comment