Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Our Lord comes to us …


And lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matthew 28:20, KJ21)

   How do you describe the presence of Christ to the people you encounter in your everyday life?  Is it commanding presence that dominates your every motivation and action?  Is it certain knowledge in that one is keenly aware in the actions that our Savior would want us to do in any given situation?  Is it a sense or a feeling that Jesus is with us during my hard days?  Is it a time of elation, spilling out of our hearts as we see Christ move in a given situation?  If Christ promises to abide with us through His Holy Spirit; is it a constant presence or is it a situational happening?   Is the rest He promises to the heavy laden; something that is automatic or does it come only when we seek him out? 

      People have asked me from time to time; “When do you or did you; feel the presence of Christ?”  In my answers I speak of moments filled with God’s grace as I become overwhelmed with the thought of the sacrifice of Jesus in loving me; a stumbling and failing sinner.  I have felt the presence of Christ as I have lifted a fellow believer up from the baptismal waters into the joy of Christ as they began the journey of becoming a new creation by the power of God’s workmanship.  I have felt the presence of Christ as I shared the Good News of hope with those who felt hopeless. I have felt the presence of Christ as I offered up fragile prayers that were for seemingly impossible situations where words were woefully inadequate to express my great need from my generous and gracious Heavenly Father. I have felt the presence of Christ as gratitude has swept over my emotions as my Heavenly Father has always done more than I could have imagined or thought possible as He answered those little prayers.   

      I thought of the times when His presence was so comforting as my heart was breaking and I fell into His open arms of  my Shepherd and Savior.  I have felt the presence of the all-knowing Christ as I realized I was living as a spoiled and selfish prodigal and realized I needed to find a way to come back to the Good Father who was waiting to restore me in my relationship as His child.  I have felt the presence of the Risen Christ as He walked beside me on my pathways of confusion and wondering. I have felt the presence of Christ in the gift of marriage to my blessed wife and I have felt the presence of Christ as we were given children to love and fill up our home.

     All of a sudden the list becomes incredibly long with countless events, indescribable and significant in His continuous presence as He has never left me and so wonderful in supplying His loving grace for every need over the many years of our relationship.  I thought of His power and mercy through all of these occurrences.  I am always left with deep gratitude that I cannot adequately express in the form of thoughts and words.  If I start to think of all Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior has done for me … I am reduced to repeating a simple phrase springing up and overflowing in thankfulness.  I can only say, “Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, Lord.  Thank you.” 
  
     When do you or did you; feel the presence of Christ?   Start a list in your mind of the moments and occurrences when you felt Him near. Ponder His hand of mercy, grace and power in your life and try to answer the question about when was He present in your life.  I think gratitude will began to pour forth from your heart as well, as you say, “Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, Lord.  Thank you.” 

Suggested Reading … John 13

No comments:

Post a Comment