Thursday, August 22, 2013

How sweet are your words, Oh LORD.



“How sweet are your words to my taste,  sweeter than honey to my mouth!”
(Psalm 119:103, ESV)

  A few years ago we read Psalm 119 in its entirety in a worship service.  A number of people were very touched by the words on that day.  It is the longest Psalm and it has one stanza for each of the letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

    The theme of the Psalm is the insight, guidance and sweetness flowing into us as we meditate on the truths and seek a deeper understanding of the LORD through His Word to us.   Even though the Psalm reflects on the Law of the LORD being “sweeter than honey” and how it “gives life.” It is the relationship of knowing the LORD that gives and makes the words of the Law so wonderful as to be a blessing as to us as we read and cherish them.

    I think our relationship with the Shepherd, the faithfulness of His heart towards us and His attentive protective love is the key as to the why and the way the Psalms connect with us.  Over and over we tend to go to them and read them, seeking God.  Over and over we identify with the feelings of frustration and elation that we find in these writings.  I have read them to young and old.  I have connected with them during brutal life events when nothing made sense. I have found understanding in the Psalms as to my frailness, humanness and struggles.  I have been blessed by the Psalms when I have been overwhelmed with the greatness of our God and found the exact words that matched my worshipful heart at that moment. The Psalms have been for thousands of years and will be until time is no more … the treasure of all believers and followers of the Living God.

    In the middle of Psalm 119 is the familiar phrase … “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”  The Living God who is our Savior and Shepherd uses the Psalms as a lamp to help us in our understanding as we go through each day and every situation of each day. They also are a light that guides us by His Word on the blessed path ahead of us.  In His Word and in the Psalms we find our God, when we seek Him. His light is more than sufficient for each day and we can trust His light as the way for every day along our future paths.

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105, ESV)

Suggested Bible Reading … Psalm 119


No comments:

Post a Comment