Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The answer to every need …



“Bow down Your ear, O LORD, hear me: For I am poor and needy” (Psalm 86:1, NKJV).


  In every situation of need; there is a struggle in the need.  The struggle begins in the need and continues as the need escalates in intensity. As the intensity grows, we look first and foremost for help in the reserves of our mental capacities, emotional strength and in the character of our willful determination and continuing perseverance. Sometimes the need is simply beyond our capacities. If we continue to falter in the need, exhausting our reserves, we may resort to appealing to someone else for direction, encouragement and support.  In our appeals for help with our need as we look to another, we must be certain of our relationship and certain of the capacities of the other in being of able to help us with our need.

     Our families can help us in our need. Our friends can come to our rescue and even strangers can surprise us in their responses to any given situation of need.  Just as easily, our friends and family can fail in our hour of greatest need.  They can be unavailable, disinterested and even inadequate to provide for the assistance that we need in the moment or in our season of need.  Even in the security of the relationships closest to us, we can find great inadequacies and insufficiencies.  We may even scare away the very help we need because of the intensity of our need. 

      There is one source of help for any and every need that stand apart from all others. Our God stands alone as He is always attentive, readily available, full of compassion and understanding, beyond sufficient to answer and to provide strength, comfort and victory in every situation of need.  He alone brings help for every situation of need. He is the Faithful One who hears and the Mighty One who responds with abundant and purposed love answering all of our needs.

      In our need, we come as David, the Psalmist, came to the God, who was his Lord.  We cry as David cried.  We call out to our Lord, as David called out to his Lord. We pray as David prayed and we can be assured of our being heard as David was heard by our God.  We can be comforted as David was comforted. We can be secure as David was secure in both the sufficiency of God’s provision and salvation.  We may live in time far removed from the time of David but our God is the same God, and our Lord is the same Lord.  “For You are great, and do wondrous things; You alone are God” (Psalm 86:10, NKJV).

A prayer adapted from Psalm 86

I seek You and look only to You;  Most Holy and Mighty God. Come close to me and listen to my cries for help. I am in need of You, just now. You alone can do all things and provide for all things.  I am poor and needy but I am yours alone and You are my Precious and Generous Heavenly Father. I trust in You alone for all my needs. Come, O Lord, come again to me in my need. Your forgiveness covers all my sin when I call upon you and Your provision and salvation is wonderful and beyond compare. Comfort me, O Lord, as You answer me through Your Spirit, for great is your mercy, grace and love towards me, through Jesus Christ my Savior and Redeemer. Amen.

Suggested Reading … Psalm 86

No comments:

Post a Comment