Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Don’t lose God in the big words used about Him. Final thoughts on Psalm 139

“You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.”  (Psalm 139:1-5, NIV)

  There are words that are often used to describe the attributes of God.  These descriptive words sometimes find their very meaning in their exclusive use as words for the attributes of God.  Words such as omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient and sovereignty are seldom used apart from being connected to descriptions of God’s monumental and vast attributes.  David doesn’t use uncommon words in describing God. Instead, he uses common language and metaphors to describe the knowledge, presence and supremacy of God that is too wonderful, too immense and too powerful for his mind to really grasp.  David sees and senses the indescribable magnificence of God and as he is daunted by the intimate knowledge God has of his very being and soul.  Yet David’s words venture on in humble praise, gratitude and petition.  Praise for all God is, gratitude for all He gives and petition to cleanse His heart as he follows the Almighty God in ways everlasting.

      God is not impressed by our use of big words that still fall ineptly short of His nature and essence.  Nor does He need our feeble attempts to describe Him. Neither is God   interested in our tokenism when we come to Him.  Instead, God welcomes our contrite heart in our need of His grace and our humble gratitude for His endless provision and protection.  He delights in our seeking of His presence, desiring again and again His steadfast and enduring love.  God is joyful in our prayerful and genuine worship as we find joyful delight in knowing Him and having His hand upon our lives. We can lose the indescribable God in trying too hard to describe Him.  Our relationship with God does not depend upon our knowledge of Him nor the words we use about Him but on who He is and what He gives and does for us in Jesus Christ and the presence of His Holy Spirit.   He has covered us with His love from before we were born and it carries into eternity.  By His ever-present hand we are led in His everlasting ways in all our days.  It is all too wonderful for us and that is why, all our days are His. 

“Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24, NIV)

Suggested Reading … Psalm 139


No comments:

Post a Comment