Friday, October 18, 2013

On days of weakness … we need to trust in God’s power. Thoughts from Psalm 139



“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;  your works are wonderful,  I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!  Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you.” (Psalm 139:14-18, NIV)


  When we describe power, we tend to use words such as force, capacity and authority. We tend to think of power as the ability to control, the strength to change and the supremacy of one person or authority over another. All powers can be are matched, changed or reduced by the capacity and strength of another power. In some ways power is about the bigger, the better and the potency.  Still all power ... that is used or taken, without restraint and wisdom will become brutality, injustice, insanity and chaos.

     God’s power is infinite in its capacity and sovereignty and yet is wondrously woven into His wisdom, presence and essence and thus is perfect at all times.  In the presence of God and by His power, mountains are both made and melted into nothingness.  God’s power is perfect in His mercy and love to us through the grace of Jesus Christ as it saves, changes and remakes us. His power is without equal, above everything else and able to create substance and beauty out of His Word alone. Still His power is perfect in His designing unfathomable intricacies and complexities into every facet of His creation. 

     Power is deceptive to human beings as it is subject to our foolishness, inadequacies and the emotion of the human heart (Jeremiah 17:9). When we sense our weakness or feel powerless, we may be tempted to use any power for revenge or control.  Many times, we end up with a bigger mess in our lives than the place we started from. On any day that we feel weak, we are far better to trust in God’s power as it is without equal and it is perfect because of His wisdom.  All weaknesses acknowledged and abandoned unto God, thus become wondrous as worship as we see God’s sovereignty and they are perfected in His hands, as we put our actions and our ways under His control and supremacy.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10, NIV)

Suggested Reading … Psalm 139

No comments:

Post a Comment