Wednesday, May 29, 2013

It is in the dying ...



“Then said Jesus to his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever will save his life shall lose it: and whoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? (Luke 16:24-26 NIV)

  Jesus himself spoke in the losing of one’s life and the things in one’s world, that a new life is gained.  Life for us comes from Christ by His death, as it secures the new life He gives us as a Risen Lord.

      It was in the turning to follow after Christ as their Savior, that the Apostles died to their former lives and were each given a new life.  It is the same with each one of us … the transformation of Christ in our lives to a new life comes as we die to ourselves.  As believers, it is vital to remember that from the smallest detail to the most important aspects of our faith in our relationships with strangers, family and brothers and sisters in Christ: everything that matters has an element of dying in order to be reborn in new life.  It is in the losing or letting go of our selfish old sinful natures that we are reborn, as we take on the new nature of Christ. Christ’s love poured forth in His death to save us and forgive us. We need to remember this foundational truth in order to tap into His redemptive power in any and all of our relationships.  As we trust and obey  Him in that power, we have life in the abundant ways He desires for us as redeemed followers.

    New life cannot come without dying. It is as simple as that. The Holy Spirit is grieved when new life cannot come because we hold unto our old selfish natures.  It is incredibly sad that we often times long for new life but refuse to die to ourselves in order for that new life to be birthed in us.

    Oh Father in Heaven, I come to You, broken and repentant, as again I need to die to myself.  I lay down and release to You, oh Lord … my old hopeless, selfish and unholy ways that keep me from the new life that you long to give me.  Lord, break my prideful heart of stone that I may have Your heart as I follow your ways above everything else on this earth.  Forgive my sins as I die to them and their power.  Help me by your Holy Spirit to forgive others of all their sins against me, as I remember Your forgiveness of my own sins.  Craft a new heart in this earthen vessel of my life, as I die to myself and find new life in Jesus Christ , my blessed redeeming and empowering Lord.  In the name of my Savior,  Jesus Christ, Amen.     

“And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you” (Ephesians 4:30-32 NIV).

Scripture Readings Ephesians 4 & 5

No comments:

Post a Comment